Van Meter United Methodist Church




Welcome to our Community

The current Van Meter United Methodist Church is a product of mergers of several earlier congregations. In 1847 the first ministers were serving the settlers in the central portion of the new state of Iowa. These ministers were circuit riders and traveled a route from settlement to settlement to hold worship services. By 1870s the congregations of the circuit riders began building permanent churches.

Union Chapel United Brethren was built in 1873 southeast of Van Meter at the corner of Badger Creek Road and 105th Street. In 1943 the congregation joined the Van Meter United Brethren Church. The church is now a private residence.

Van Meter United Brethren Church was built at the corner of Main and Ellis Streets in 1874. The Evangelical and United Brethren congregations combined in 1946 and became the Van Meter Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1969 the Methodist and the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) congregations combined becoming United Methodists. This building was then renamed Otterbein United Methodist Church. Worship services were alternated monthly between this building and the First United Methodist Church. This building is now the Van Meter Baptist Church.

Pleasant Grove M.E. Church was built in 1881 and was used until 1916.

Van Meter Methodist Church was built in 1882 on the corner of Elm and 1st Streets. The structure was renamed First United Methodist Church in 1968. With the merger of the Methodist and EUB congregations in 1969 services were alternated monthly with the Otterbein United Methodist Church. This building is now an apartment building.

North River United Brethren Church was built in 1887 and was used until 1954.

Jefferson United Brethren Church was built south of Van Meter on Quail Ridge Road between 140th Street and Cumming Road in 1903. In 1960 the congregation joined the Van Meter United Brethren Church. Only the cemetery remains today.

In the early 1970s a new building was planned and constructed on the corner of Desoto Road and Hazel Street. This building was consecrated in 1974 and is the current location of the Van Meter United Methodist Church. A Fellowship Hall was added and consecrated in 1996.

The above history was taken from several sources with occasional minor differences in details. If you have any corrections or additions, please contact office@vmumc.com.